“Budokai” School of Martial Arts was founded in 1965 at Chennai by the Legendry “ Father of Karate in India”, the late Renshi R.V.T.Mani , who is popularly known as “ Karate Mani “.
Renshi Mani trained under Great Masters like Hanshi Gogen Yamaguchi, Dr.Masaaki Hatsumi, Sensei Busen Arakawa and Sensei Inoue. Besides, he underwent extensive training in different forms of martial arts and also he was proficient in “ Kundalini Yoga” and obtained his master’s certificate from Shri. Vethathri Maharishi.
Budokai is now led by Shiandai Anand Mohan who is one of the two surviving personal students of Renshi Mani, besides Sensei Bruce Robson.
The strength of Budokai lies in the traditional methods of training & Budokai has its headquarters in Chennai & has branches all over the country. It is affiliated to Karate Association of India.
Budokai trains thousands of students from different walks of life which includes security personnel,Officers Training Academy, NSG Commandos, 10 Para Commandos, Anti Hijack Squad, Anti terrorist Squad , the Rajasthan & Gujarat police etc.
The golden jubilee of Budokai, the Pioneer in Karate training in India, was celerated on 8 & 9th May 2015 at Chennai in a befitting manner. Budokai is the only Karate school reached the milestone of 53 years in India as of now.
Regular activities of Budokai :
- Conducting regular classes for common people, children, Students, ladies & businessmen at various centres through out the year
- Imparting training at Officer Training Academy (OTA) at Chennai through out the Year
- Offering Special–skills Training for Commandos , NSG, Anti Hijack Squad at New Delhi through out the Year
- Besides, offering special trainings to defence forces, Police ( men and women), Para-military forces, Industrial security personnel & Government security personnel etc
- The strength of Budokai lies in the traditional methods of training. Aim to establish branches of Budokai in all major cities of India.
- Emphasize the need for self-defence to women & offer self-defence Training to women at various levels / walks of life
- Planning to approach the Government/s to make the self- defence training as compulsory syllabus to girls in the schools & Colleges
- Like to offer training & prepare Rural youths to compete for Jobs in Armed forces & Police forces.
- Last but not the least, like Shaolin Temple, in future, there should be a “ Budokai Temple” in Tamil Nadu with the blessings of our Soke R.V.T. Mani.
Profile of Sensei Bruce A. Robson :
Name : Bruce A. Robson
Date of Birth : 06.02.1950 & Age : 67 years
Address : 4/36 New Thillai Nagar,
1st Avenue, 6th Cross , Vadavalli P.O.
Qualification (academic) : B.A.,
Karate : Training since 1969
Present Rank held in Karate : 5th degree Black Belt
Karate Training / practice details :
- Began training in 1969 under (Late) Soke Dr. R.V.T. Mani , who was the pioneer of karate in India & who started Karate training school in Chennai in the name of Budokai in 1965
- Elevated as Instructor in Budokai in the year 1974
- Graded Black Belt in the year 1976
- As an Instructor, he had the opportunity to meet & interact with some of the Legendary grand masters of Karate
- Conducting regular classes for common people, children, School & college Students, ladies & businessmen through out the year
- Imparting training at Officer Training Academy (OTA) at Chennai
- Offering Special–skills Training for Commandos , NSG, Anti Hijack Squad at New Delhi
- Besides, offering special trainings to defence forces, Police, Para-military forces, Industrial security personnel & Government security personnel etc
- The Legacy of Budokai is now led by Shiandai Anand Mohan who is one of the two surviving personal students of Soke Dr. R.V.T. Mani, besides Sensei Bruce Robson
- He is now number 2 in grand old School – Budokai which celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2015 .